Happy 2017 to each one of you reading and to our newest ADI blog followers. Thank you for following ADI if you are not following, please do I love sharing with you and hearing your story.
What is it about a New Year that makes us all want to organize, work out, and set unrealistic goals? I have, to be honest, I never set a New Years Resolution, why? Well, mainly because if there is something in our lives that is making us less productive, that’s something we have to work at throughout the year. Don’t be too hard on yourself if now 12 days into the New Year your off track 42% of Americans make a Resolution for change with an additional 17% of Americans jumping in that make resolutions infrequently. Guess what percentage fails? Only 8% of resolutions succeed. So, with that, I like to evaluate regularly not just at the new year.
There are a few resolutions that I like to call Home Design Resolutions that you can do any time of the year. If you are like me, life gets insanely busy, and things at home begin to slip. Why? Well for us moms we hold ourselves accountable for every detail, STOP IT! Life as a working mom or a stay at home mom never turns off. Granted we get our down time in the car driving to the grocery store, no seriously I hope you’re taking down time. Burnout is a real thing.
For the first twelve days of the New year, I hit reset on a few things that drive me bonkers!!! Not resolutions per say just habits that I like to coach into my clients for a healthy home life. If you follow ADI, you know that I believe our home tells a story the moment your guest enter and when our homes are in chaos it reflects on our outside world.
This room is more worked than any other in the home. Dishes in your workspace the sink overnight will make you wake to feel overwhelmed when you have to wash a cup for your morning coffee.
- Load the dishwasher nightly and unload every morning.
- Remove everything from counters and wipe down with water and mild dishwashing detergent.
- Check refrigerator for spills and organize lunches for next morning. (Still not succeeding here as I packed lunch’s at 8 A.M. today!)
- Wipe counters and sinks daily with a mild cleaner helps me keep up when I don’t have time to do a full clean weekly. At least I don’t feel like a total slob.
I have to say I truly believe making your bed every morning sets your day up for success. Therefore, when we walk into our rooms where we sleep and find refuge something about a made up bed brings peace to my mind. May sound silly, but I notice when I don’t make the beds my day feels a little more chaotic. Number 1 thing I tell my clients “make your bed change your world.” My daughters have gotten spoiled with me making their beds because I want them to look a certain way perfectly placed pillows. But, truly they need to learn this habit for success.
- Have girls make their bed daily for chore credit?
Now I don’t have an official mudroom this is on my renovation list this year is to make a workable drop zone in our laundry area. So, this one is a nuisance for me because the space at my garage entrance is ALWAYS full of shoes, coats, and bags.
- Put away shoes in bedrooms
- Hang jackets and backpacks because they are all over the floor.
- Utilize floor space for shoes with wooden crates to store.
Speaking of laundry area I despise laundry!
- Wash a load of laundry and PUT AWAY DAILY. I know most people do this already, but I do all the laundry once a week. And, it’s a hot mess!
We have these dark hardwood floors, I love them, but y’all they show every speck of dust.
- Vacuum before bed. Does anyone have a Robotic vacuum I would love to know how you like it?
Hope you’re inspired to keep your home organized this New Year. We all get busy and struggle to keep up with the day to day chores. Design a home and life you love!
Be inspired, if you are like me and already off track start over. That flipping laundry room is a disaster now!! Every day is NEW DAY don’t wait for a New Year.